Wednesday 12 June 2013

But why?

In my mind, the creation of this blog is long overdue. As someone who is immersed in words on a daily basis it may seem perverse to some to continue that practice into the evening. But I'm a firm believer that conversational writing is a skill. Indeed an art form, when done well. The ability to transfer thoughts to paper (or screen) improves with practice. Learn from others, listen to your peers and put in the hours and your copywriting will improve. That's one of my key motivations for creating this blog.

A View From The Glen has been lurking around my psyche for many a year now. In fact, I registered the domain name several years ago when I harbored dreams of being a nature writer. Now resurrected as a vehicle for my thoughts on fundraising and the world of charities, goodness knows how it will develop.

Today seemed like as good as time as any to get this blog up and running. I started a new job, Individual and Planned Giving Manager with Myeloma UK last month and this afternoon I had the ubiquitous one month appraisal. It seemed to go well. 

I recall when I was searching for a new position earlier in the year, I happened upon an excellent and apt blog post by Rachel Brown, Jumping sector: One month in. Whilst not jumping sector myself, I felt Rachel captured the newcomer nervousness that accompanies every new job. Rachel makes heaps of good points - Believe in  yourself, No-one likes a know it all and Make the tea

I agree with them all and have steadfastly tried to abide by them in my first month at Myeloma UK. However at times I've struggled with one in particular. There is a fine balance to be struck between demonstrating your enthusiasm, excitement and thirst for your new role, yet challenging historical standard operating procedures.

It's as if there's an annoying four year old inside me continually asking, "Why do you do it like that?" As the new member of staff isn't this the ideal time and opportunity to sensitively ask these questions? If only to clarify the thought process behind these processes and assumptions.


"Yes, but why?" The relentless questioning of a four year old.
That's my defence, anyway. I trust the annoying four year old hasn't escaped too often in the workplace and I apologise to my colleagues at Myeloma UK if he has.

No comments:

Post a Comment